Thursday, April 12, 2012

A-Z Challenge: K - Kiss



K is for Kiss


Today I am delighted to introduce my friend, Barbara Alfaro. She is an amazing writer who I met through the Scribd community. She wrote this lovely poem all about her first kiss. It is the title poem for her collection of poems, which is available to buy on Amazon Kindle. More of Barbara's writing can also be found on her blog. I particularly loved a short story she wrote called "Resistible Impulse" about a robot called Shelley. She has published her memoir, Mirror Talk, about growing up Catholic, her experiences in New York Theatre, her marriage and the healing power of humour.


First Kiss

Teddy O’Connor, I dreamed of you last night.
You were the age you would be now
and still handsome in your quiet way.

Remember us, in our Easter Sunday best,
beside my father’s mint green Chevrolet,
holding torch-shaped ice cream cones.

Ten years later, I’m wearing a prom dress.
You are Cary Grant in a rented tux.
You broke my heart that night,
being too attentive to another.

Somewhere between the Carvels
and senior prom, probably
when we were twelve, we paused
in a Long Island woods and
sat beside each other on a fallen tree.
You surprised me with a kiss
and I fell silent as a log.

In the dream, you said you live in Delaware.
I wonder how you are now.
The fool part of me is tempted to see
how many Theodore O’Connors
live in Wilmington but if I found you,
what could I say?

Teddy O’Connor, I dreamed of you last night.

   ~ Barbara Alfaro


Isn't that a great poem. Can you remember your first kiss?

32 comments:

  1. That first kiss - many moons ago - aaah or ugh - the memory plays tricks on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh now I'm intrigued!!! I do remember my first kiss. ;) lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post Love the poem and I had to laugh remembering mine. I met my now hubby while staying at my aunts house. My cousins were way younger than me I think he was like 8 or 9 and said "Awww I'm telling my mother" and he snitched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh! What tell-tales, but obviously didn't put you guys off!

      Delete
  4. Great poem.

    My first kiss was at 8 and I've always wondered how his life had turned out. We met recently, both single, both parents and both our sons have the same name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - how amazing - have you met up again since?

      Delete
  5. I do remember my first kiss - not nearly as nice as the poem, though. :)

    Great post! Just another A to Z Challenger stopping by...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - will pop over and say hello later.

      Delete
  6. Yeah it will always be there, not sure I care to think how life would turn out though..haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful poem -- probably better than my first kiss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be kind of stumbley, can't they? Thanks for commenting, Carla.

      Delete
  8. I like the descrips of the mint green Chevy and the torch-shaped cones. very tactile. I'm over from A to Z challenge. Stop by if you like. Today I am #614. Cheers, Catheriine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by - I know, great descriptions of Barbara's in this poem. Will pop over later to say hi.

      Delete
  9. Ha! my first kiss was probably when I was about ten and involved tongue which confused me. My best friend had to explain it to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness - that's a bit advanced for a 10 yr old! LOL

      Delete
  10. I used Kiss as my topic as well, and "First Kiss" was at the top.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, Claire! Barbara's poem is wonderful. It brings back all those young exciting feelings of first crushes! Sure, I remember my very first kiss (I was 13) but it really wasn't anything special. My most special and memorable kiss is the first one I shared with my best guy friend now husband! :)

    Thanks for sharing Barbara's poem. Hope you're having a great week and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. My first kiss was at 13 too - and actually he is now my husband (after a 30 year gap)!

      Delete
  12. Hi Claire - Thanks so much for this guest post. I appreciate all the warm comments about my poem. I imagine most people remember their first kiss whether it was sweet or maybe not so sweet. You have a great blog and I'm glad you shared it with "First Kiss."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an absolute pleasure to have you guest, Barbara. We must do it again :)

      Delete
  13. Very kind of you to share your space with a friend and help promote the collection. And good work, Barbara!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a great poem and kiss is a great k word. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember the kiss, the eyes, the smile, and the heavenly music all around me at that moment. But, alas, reality check. She dumped me a few weeks later. I don't dream of her though. I found my happiness later, but such was my first kiss.

    Thanks for promoting Barbara's poetry Claire! : ^ )

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is so great! You go, girl

    ReplyDelete