Saturday, April 21, 2012

A-Z Challenge: S - Spirituality





S is for Spirituality

Now, you may not realise, judging from yesterday's post of lavatorial lewdness, but I actually have quite strong spiritual beliefs. Many years ago, when I was at boarding school, we were forced to go to church every Sunday and it was unutterably boring and completely put me off organised religion. If we so much as smiled the vicar, who must have had a sense of humour lobotomy, would give you such a look of horror, you would have thought we had shouted "Phuq!" (see R) at the top of our voice. God forbid, if one of us farted, it was like we were sacrificing a small child. So I decided that anywhere that didn't have a sense of humour was no place for me! 

But then, years later, I discovered that there was this whole other way of thinking, that didn't involve forcing you into stuffy old buildings and making you sit still and be silent for over an hour. What a revelation that was. I haven't looked back since. So, I thought today I would list some of the books that have had the most profound spiritual effect on me. They have changed my whole outlook on life for the better and it keeps changing as I practice living in a different way. It is not always easy as I keep defaulting to crabby, impatient, judgemental bitch from hell, but I do get occasional glimpses of the nicer, kinder, more compassionate person underneath. Gives me hope!


Ask and It Is Given by Abraham-Hicks


A totally life-changing book. I have read this and listened to it on CD and given it to many of my friends. The wisdom contained within its pages is awe-inspiring, yet so simply written and easily understood. If you haven't heard of this book or read it yet, I cannot recommend it highly enough. I have read most, if not all, of their books and they are amazing. I have also been to see Esther Hicks live and she (and, of course, Abraham) are completely fantastic. Jerry, as some of you may know, has recently passed on and is bringing his wonderful energy from non-physical.


The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success by Deepak Chopra


Again, an inspirational writer of incredible proportions. He has written too many books to name, but I particularly love this one. One of those books you want to have on your bedside table and keep referring to. A few years ago, I would meditate on each of the Laws on a different day of the week like he suggests, but I got out of the habit. Hmmm, perhaps I should dig it out of my bookshelf and re-start that practice.


 Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain

OMG! What a life-saver this book was for me. I read it for the first time 20 years ago when I got the most appalling eczema after giving up smoking cigarettes. I attribute this book to the fact that I not only got rid of my eczema (which was so bad I could hardly walk and had to bandage my feet every day in order to get to work) but it actually cured me of it reoccurring. Absolutely fabulous book. Shakti Gawain writes in a lovely, clear, down to earth manner which is easy to understand and effortless to put into practice.


Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch

I almost didn't read this because the "God" word put me off. Thank "God" I didn't let it because I was hooked from the first page. I credit this book with finally 'awakening' me to my spiritual path. A fascinating read which got me thinking along lines that I had not before. I probably read the first 8 of his books in a fit of fevered enthusiasm before I started getting a bit bored of how he wrote and felt he was in danger of becoming too full of himself. But that first book - wow - I will be forever grateful.

 
The Way of the Peaceful Warrier by Dan Millman

A really lovely story, based on his life, by this truly incredible man. I have seen him speak as he lives locally and he is great. This book is his story of how he befriends and is guided by a powerful old warrior named Socrates. His gradual spiritual awakening is a joy to read about and I still think of some of the nuggets of wisdom in this book even though I read it years ago.


The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz

This is quite a short book (and confirms the old adage about 'quality not quantity') but has had such a profound effect on my beliefs. He writes with authenticity and a deep wisdom and gentleness. A guidebook for life.


The Four Agreements are:

  1. Be Impeccable With Your Words
  2. Don't Take Anything Personally
  3. Don't Make Assumptions
  4. Always Do Your Best
The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle

A really powerful book but took me a while to read it. It is all about staying present. He is such a wise, intelligent man that I sometimes had to read the same page 5 times to understand it, but inspirational advice when I finally did. I try to be 'in the moment' every day, but then find myself thinking about what I did wrong yesterday or obsessively listing what I need to do tomorrow. Dammit, stay in the now, Claire! 

What are your thoughts? Spiritual? Religious? Atheist? Whatever? Don't give a phuq?

16 comments:

  1. I had some bad 'church' experiences too. I have strong beliefs and I'm happy with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best is when you find what your own way without pressure from others. We each have our own path :)

      Delete
  2. I think we've all had to stumble our ways through religion to get to the heart of the matter, faith.

    I remember reading the Four Agreements. A very good read. Thanks for the others.

    And yes, I do give a phuq! LOL. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good book. They all are in different ways. Yay with the phuq word!!

      Delete
  3. Very Interesting...I thought your "S" post was going to be about that other mainstream band, the Style Council, thank the lord for Spirituality...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stop with the 'M' word!! Anyway, obviously, the Style Council are under W!!!

      Delete
  4. I was raised Methodist, but do not attend church.I have a book about Buddhism, but I don't remember the name. It talks about being present and watering the seeds inside you that you wish to grow. It is a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister is a Buddhist nun so I know quite a bit about Buddhism. Being in the present is so fab if you can do it. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  5. I've read The Four Agreements and The Power of Now. Eckhart Tolle's book definitely was life-changing for me. I read it not too long after the birth of my youngest son who has Trisomy 18. Both his diagnosis and the book truly have helped me live in the moment, and I wouldn't have it any other way.
    I'm going to check out some of the other books in your post, too, Claire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Susan. Eckhart Tolle is really amazing, isn't he. Glad he helped you. Would love to hear how you get on with the others if you read them.

      Delete
  6. These books appear to be a blend of Eastern mysticism and psychology. I have read The Four Agreements. Not bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment, Jeremy, and also for following.

      Delete
  7. I have heard of some of those, but not read any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would highly recommend any of them. All great.

      Delete
  8. I'm trying to get into the Eckhart Tolle books too since seeing them on Oprah.

    Visiting from AtoZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is an inspiring writer. Worth perservering with his books, I got a lot out of them.

      Delete