Friday, April 6, 2012

A-Z Challenge: F - Funny



F is for Funny


I love to laugh. I think it's on a par with an orgasm, but without the wet spot (unless, of course, you've given birth and then you have no pelvic floor and uncontrollable giggling can frequently cause embarrassing wetness). And no-one makes me laugh quite as much as the fantastic, fabulous, fart-makingly funny Dawn French.



For those of you who don’t know her (*gasp*) she is a British comedy Goddess of mammoth proportions. Figuratively and, until recently when she shed over 100lbs in weight, literally.  She’s the star of the award-winning sitcom, Vicar of Dibley, one half of the hilarious (and also award-winning) double-act that is French and Saunders (with her best buddy, Jennifer Saunders, of Absolutely Fabulous fame), and author of two best-selling books to mention just a tiny sample of her accomplishments.

I want to give a shout-out here to her two books. One is a memoir called ‘Hello Fatty’ and the other is a novel called ‘A Tiny Bit Marvellous’. I read her novel first and it made me laugh out loud from the very first page. It is mostly about a mother and her relationship with her teenage daughter (could so relate). Not only was it hilarious, but she also had me cringing and I even shed the odd tear. I highly recommend this.  Here's the book trailer, which is a comedy sketch in itself:


 

After a break to catch up with my book club books, I started her memoir. Oh-my-actual-God! If anything, it's even funnier. I was reading it in my lunch hour at work yesterday and started giggling at one bit and then couldn’t stop. I had an insane laughing fit. I was crying I was laughing so hard. (In fact, I think I experienced some of that embarrassing wetness I talking about earlier!) Work colleagues were looking at me and wondering what the hell was going on. I had to walk away from her book to calm myself down. Her writing has such a strong voice - she writes like she talks. I could imagine her every step of the way. If I could even write a tenth as well, I would be more than happy. I cannot recommend this book highly enough ... unless you have incontinence problems and then I wouldn't advise it.

To finish, I found my most favourite skit which she did with Jennifer Saunders many, many years ago on BBC's Comic Relief. Dawn is explaining to Jennifer all about sex. I call it The Todger Sketch. It is absolutely hilarious, if a teensy bit rude.

25 comments:

  1. I love Dawn French and I have her novel sitting on my kindle reader unread at the minute. After reading this post I think it's the book I'm going to be reading this weekend! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh read it now! Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      Delete
  2. Hilarious and so clever. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Dawn French. With the Titanic 3D trailers appearing everywhere, I'm daily reminded of the French and Saunders sketch. And my kids love Vicar of Dibley, so it's a great excuse to watch them all again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that was a great sketch. And we love Vicar of Dibley, they just get better the more you watch it.

      Delete
  4. I actually met Dawn French years ago, at of all places, The British Museum. She was with her daughter Billie and was no where near as large as she appears on TV.

    She along with Jennifer Saunders, are without doubt the British queens of comedy.

    My fav bit in Vicar of Dibley? Where she jumps in a puddle and ends up neck deep in it! It never fails to have me howling with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my actual God - how exciting was that to meet her?! That's one of my favs too.

      Delete
  5. haha but the part before the wet spot is still fun...haha...yeah the cat surely likes to laugh as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay I know what I'll be reading next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - gotta read it. BTW still can't open yours *sigh* I obviously have to stop being tight and actually BUY it!

      Delete
  7. I m totally agree. She's a wonderful, clever and profund actress and writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious both your post and videos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Last christmas my boys brought me the whole set of Vicar of Dibley, it is awesome, she is the greatest british comedienne. Haven't read her books but might just ahve to take a peek, don't have daughter but sure it will make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is about her son too. Neither of my sisters even have kids and they loved it.

      Delete
  10. I can only hope some day someone will describe me as as "fart-makingly funny." What a way to put it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! I thought you were funny ... hmm not sure you are quite up to enducing farting yet ...

      Delete
  11. I love her!I have the whole Vicar of Dibley series on DVD. Now I'll have to get her books - how did she lose all that weight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Books are amazing. I think she lost weight by cutting out carbs, walking her dog and, probably, much less chocolate!

      Delete
  12. I love Dawn French, and that Q and A session was just wonderful. I must check out the books.

    ReplyDelete