Monday, April 30, 2012

A-Z Challenge: Z - Zebedee



Z is for Zebedee


Most of you are probably thinking "Who the hell is Zebedee?" Well, he was in a seemingly innocent children's TV programme in Britian in the 60s called The Magic Roundabout. He always bounced everywhere, just in the nick of time, to save the day. There was a famous saying at the end of every episode, when the narrator announced: "Time for bed, said Zebedee."


The original idea was created by Serge Danot in 1965 in France. His idea was then rewritten and narrated by Eric Thompson, and achieved cult status. It was very "sixties". There has been much debate about whether all the characters were off their heads on drugs. Below is a run-down of the most popular characters and what has been said:

Dylan, a hippy hashish bunny, who could have been accused of growing something considerably stronger than carrots in his vegetable patch.

Dougal, a shaggy dog with no legs, who lived on a strict diet of sugar - a speed addiction perhaps? He did use to rush around like a mad thing.

Ermintrude, the pink cow, who would constantly chew on flowers. They once made her triple her size and fly away, so goodness knows what they were. Maybe magic mushrooms as she always had a kind of goofy grin on her face.

Florence, the young girl, was a more butch version of Alice in Wonderland, and you all know what she was up to down the rabbit hole.

Brian, the snail, who was so laid back and slow that he could have been on almost anything.

And then Zebedee, who's main task seemed to be to boing in at the end and tell them all to go to bed. Not sure how appropriate that was for everyone.

My two sisters and I loved it. The 5 minute animation would be on just before the early evening news at around 6.15pm and as soon as Zebedee came at the end telling us to go to bed, off we would all go! Our Mum must've loved him.

So, the end has come. No more A-Z Challenge. I am very relieved I managed to make every letter and can now collapse in a wet puddle of exhaustion. I have thoroughly enjoyed it and loved meeting so many new and fantastic bloggers. Thank you everyone for reading my madness and commenting. I really appreciate it. Looking forward to a little break now.

So, in the immortal words of Zebedee:

"TIME FOR BED!!"

18 comments:

  1. I remember the Magic Roundabout. One of those unusual TV shows, back in the day! I didn't know any of the characters though. You have done well to pull Zebedee out of your hat. Congrats on finishing the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, that's really cute!! I'd never heard of Zebedee before today, lol :) Glad you had a great time in the A-Z Challenge! It sure was tiring, though!

    Nice to meet you and following along!

    http://writeskatedream-jmckendry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little break, don't you know you have to do it backwards next month all over again?..lol

    Never heard of the show but made for a great Z

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adored Magic Roundabout, with Dougal being my favourite.
    We used to call my older sister Zebedee and it wasn't because of her handle bar mustache.

    I'm pretty sure that you're the only A-Zer to come up with Zebedee, which kind of makes this post unique.
    Well done on completing the challenge, I've enjoyed reading all your posts.

    Now go and have that deserved rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think he was mine too. I thought loads of people would have Zebedee, but thanks. I've really enjoyed reading yours too.

      Delete
  5. It may have to do with your comment form, Claire. I don't think it works for these embedded type comments, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Argh! Still can't work it out. Thanks anyway, Matt.

      Delete
  6. Bah, I'll have to watch the video once I get home from work. Sounds hilarious, though. Zebedee must be the straight friend that has to tell everyone to go to bed to avoid hurting themselves.

    Also, congrats on finishing the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes you wonder if the producers were growing something funny as well.
    Glad you had a good time with the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing how little time I had for my bed this month, working on this (#^@*$ challenge! Still, it's been a great time, and I've enjoyed meeting you and the other fun bloggers. Will definitely be back for more!

    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am horrible dark circles too. Been fab to meet you all though.

      Delete
  9. I've never seen this before. I'm sure I would have loved it as a kid. These types of shows sparked my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great show. We all watched it. So sweet in a bizarre sort of way.

      Delete
  10. Never heard of Zebedee but with a closing line like that I can relate--I'm tired. And I think all cartoon characters and children's shows are inspired by drugs. I watch some of the stuff they have on TV for kids these days and feel like I'm having a flashback.


    Congratulations on making it through the A to Z Challenge. Join us on May 7th with your Challenge Reflections post.

    Lee
    A Faraway View
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete