Saturday, April 28, 2012

A-Z Challenge: Y - Young Ones



Y is for the Young Ones

I absolutely loved this show. It was a British sitcom which first hit our screens in 1982 with all the subtlety of a bull in a china shop. It had such a big impact on me that I hadn't realised, until I googled it for this post, that they only made 2 series, a total of 12 episodes. I still quote some of their catchphrases to this day ... like, "Have we got a video?" and "You complete and utter bastard!" ... which is kinda random as no-one in California knows what the hell I am going on about and just look at me like I am some kind of weirdo with a bad case of Tourette's.


Here is a compliation of some of the sillier bits:






Y is also for Yob

Did you know that Yob was derived from boy backwards? This boy looks like he's going to grow up to be a first class yob. 



Y is also for Yowie

Yowie is another name for a little ewe. Thought a pic of something cute was needed after that delightful little boy.



Y is also for Yogibogeybox

A Yogibogeybox are materials used by a spiritualist. What a fabulous word. I am going to use this in casual conversation this weekend and see if anyone knows what the hell I'm talking about.



Y is also for Yippeeeee!

Because it's the weekend and only one more letter and we are done with this A-Z Challenge. It has been great but I must admit to looking forward to a little down time.



How excited are you to see the end of April? What have been the best bits for you?

21 comments:

  1. I love the Yowie and the fantastic word of YogiBogeyBox. Yippee it's the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haven't managed to incorporate it into casual conversation yet! Thanks Sally :)

      Delete
  2. I remember watching the Young Ones, very good TV viewing! That boy will definitely grow up to be a yobo! I wonder who he is imitating?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Young Ones, a blast from the past. I used to be a bit of a hippy in my teens, so Neil was my favourite. Remember 'Hole in my shoe?'

    I cannot wait for this challenge to be over and may take a holiday from blogging to get over the trauma. But finding new blogs and meeting new people, has well be worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lily, glad you are back in the world of blogging again. Hope all is ok. Yep I remember Hole in my shoe. Rick was my fav :) Not sure what that says about me tho!!

      Delete
  4. The picture of the yob is hilarious.

    I found some cool blogs this year, but I'm glad the challenge is wrapping up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm totally glad the A-Z is almost over, because I'm reeeeeally getting tired of all this blog-hopping. BUT I'm glad I hopped onto your blog today. I looked through a bunch of your posts, and your sense of humor cracks me up. Count me in as your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I'll be danged. Guess I'm getting old. I was ALREADY following you! (Boy, I sure do have good taste!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Young Ones...Yobs, had enough bad encounters with these peeps! Anyways, I got to thinking about your challenge, and this thought passed my mind:

    Why is the alphabet in alphabetical order?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO - no, why is the alpabet in alphabetical order? (I know I'm going to regret asking!)

      Delete
  8. I've really enjoyed getting to read you every single day - or nearly anyway.April has proven to be a pretty frustrating month so I won't be sorry to see it go. Here's hoping May is much more positive! Thanks for the entertainment and laughs you have provided throughout this discouraging, dismal, disaster of a month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw Bridget you do say the sweetest things, thanks. And sorry you've had a such a crap month (Awful April?). Anything I can do to help?

      Delete
  9. Well Yippeee is the only one on the list I knew, learned something new

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well and there was me thinking you were a Yogibogeybox man!

      Delete
  10. Loved your post today. What fine Y words. Especially yogibogeybox, which one online dictionary called a nonce-word (a word Joyce created for one use). But ah, the limitations of the web . . . and I don't know Joyce well enough (can't get past his convoluted story-telling), but post again what happened when you used this fabulous word!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohmigosh, The Young Ones! I remember catching them on my local NY public television station AGES ago! Also, YogiBogeyBox would make for an excellent band name (if it hasn't been one already).

    April kicked the ever-lovin' stuffin' out of me - I'm ready to sing, "Na na na na, hey hey hey, GOODBYE!!!!!" :-)

    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never heard of that show, but now I want to watch it. LOL Yippeee works for me too :)

    ReplyDelete