Tuesday, April 3, 2012

A-Z Challenge: C - Cats

C is for Cats



Yes, I know. Obvious. Sorry, couldn't resist the opportunity to bore you with a quick rundown of all the cats I have had over my lifetime.



Django – Gorgeous big black and white cat that I remember being very patient and letting us kids do almost anything to him without retaliating.

Jigger – Bizarrely, I think she was named after a golf club (as in the long sticky thing you hit the little white ball with and not the big fancy place you drink yourself stupid in afterwards). Really lovely cat who lived to a ripe old age of about 20-something.

Monty and Suki – My first cats when I left home and moved in with a boyfriend. When we split up a year later, I just assumed that I would take them with me. On the day I was moving out, my ex went completely mad and refused to let me and the cats leave unless I signed a hastily written scrap of paper agreeing to let him have ‘visiting rights’. Visiting rights! What was he going to do? Visit on Sunday? Take them to lunch? The zoo? Hilarious.

Marble and Pebbles – One of the saddest times of my life was having to give them both away when we moved to California. You would have thought one of my kids had died the way I was sobbing and going on. Thank goodness, one of my best friends took them in and has given them a fantastic home where they are spoilt rotten (and where I actually get to visit them, so maybe my ex wasn't so mad after all!).



Sasha and Mitzy – My current babies. I am obsessed with them. Possibly because I waited nearly two years after moving to California before getting them. We had our mad psychotic dog (more about her tomorrow), but it just wasn’t the same without cats. I sneaked these two into the house under the ruse of ‘fostering’ them for a couple of weeks while I was volunteering at the Marin Humane Society. (I used to go and just stroke cats in lieu of actually having any at home – see, I told you I was mad-cat-woman.) There are a few funny stories for them but perhaps I will leave that for another letter of the alphabet later this month.

So what about you? Cats: love 'em or hate 'em?

21 comments:

  1. Great, but why is there a dog in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love cats, but if we get a pet it will be a dog as other half is allergic to cat hair :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dogs are good too - they make you get out and walk in the fresh air.

      Delete
  3. I do like cats but have a highly allergic daughter so no cats in our house. I like looking at pictures of them though!

    Nice to meet you, and welcome to the Challenge!

    KarenG
    A to Z Challenge Host

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obviously the cat likes cats that is just obivous as can be. But a dog in the middle, geez how could you?..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I know - my son did this montage and I am not clever enough to take out the dog! Pretend she's a large, long-snouted cat!

      Delete
  5. We weren't allowed pets that we could cuddle when I was a child - we had a budgie and a gold fish and neither survived very long. As soon as I had a place of my own we had a cat and have had several since. My current cat is about 15 years old and seems to be getting lazier and lazier with every passing day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Claire I loved you Cats for the challenge. I too am a Brit.
    I visited Calafornia back in February and had a wonderful time.
    Look forward to what else you write about during the challenge.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to have to agree with the bug, a dog in the middle is just confusing. BTW did you get my message about the letter S?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok ok, I was lazy. My son had already made the montage with Stubby in the middle and I didn't have time to change it! LOL No, what message??

      Delete
  8. I love cats! I love dogs too but they are more work and I am a lazy crazy cat lady.

    Nice to meet you Claire--think I will stick around.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a dog lover. but I've owned cats growing up. we had a Siamese cat named Sinbad he was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet Pat and his rhyming cat loved your C post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Claire that was hilarious, visiting rites, yea right! We are cat people, have 2 that the biys love growing up with. 1 called Barney (named by a 4yr old after a purple dinosaur) the other called Prenzle. Can't wait to see what you have to say tomorrow about dogs, guess that might be what you are doing for 'D'

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not really a cat person -- more a dog person -- but so many of my friends are at that stage in life where you're living in apartments and cats are so much easier than dogs (take care of their own bathroom necessities, relatively quiet, can be left with an automatic feeder for a day or so) so suddenly most of my pet exposure is cats. I'm coming around to them, although I still don't think I'll ever have one myself. If I'm in a situation where I'd have a pet, it'd still be a dog. However, cats can be quite entertaining and personable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cats. Dogs. Love them. Sadly all I have are virtual pets as I travel too often. But I still miss them. Nice pics. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete