Friday, April 13, 2012

A-Z Challenge: L - Lizard-Face



L is for Lizard-Face

When my daughter was young and going through the terrible twos, my sister, Sue, used to come round and try and cheer her up by making silly faces. The one that worked every time, without fail, was “lizard-face”. Well, it made me laugh a lot anyway. Then my whole family started doing lizard-faces whenever we wanted to make someone laugh. Now it has become a bit of a family tradition and we do it all the time - forgetting that other people have no idea why we suddenly look like creatures from outer space, while cackling hysterically. Probably not how most people expect a Buddhist nun to behave either, which somehow makes it all the funnier.

What silly tradition does your family have?


Ages ago, I was tagged by Jamara Falconer in the Lucky Seven Meme. It's all about the number 7. The tagged blogger has to turn to page 77 of their WIP, go to line 7 and copy out the next 7 lines, sentences or paragraphs. I think I'm supposed to tag 7 other bloggers, but I honestly don't think anyone would appreciate being tagged during this A-Z Challenge madness.


Sitting on the sofa, I pried the lid off the battered box and looked inside. It was a treasure trove, packed with old birthday cards, Valentine’s cards, Christmas cards and an assortment of letters, all of them from old boyfriends. As I started going through them, I became thoroughly distracted, each one bringing back a different memory – the soppy, puffy Valentine card with roses from a boyfriend from college; the funny, cute one from a boyfriend from school; the jokey wife ones from my ex-husband; one from a boy that I couldn’t even remember. 
But they weren’t what I was looking for.

Eventually, I spied a small blue envelope hidden among the pile of letters and felt a jolt of recognition. It was folded in half, the edges frayed slightly and ‘Claire F’ in tiny blue writing on the front. Opening it up, there was another, similar envelope within and inside that, like a paper Russian doll giving up its secrets, I struck gold - three letters and a photograph.


19 comments:

  1. I use this face all the time! Thanx for popping in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun post! When my brother and I were real young (before we started grammar school), my mother used to make funny faces to amuse us - distorted, rubbery, and perfectly silly faces. I don't recall a lizard-face though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love silly faces. I think lizard-face is peculiar to our family lol

      Delete
  3. Hi Claire! Thanks so much for visiting and becoming a new follower! I appreciate it! I am the master of silly faces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty, nice to meet you and thanks for following :)

      Delete
  4. LOL I can make funny faces galore, but never had one called a lizard face..haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the longer you look at it, the funnier it gets. I know a few people that don this face frequently as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haha! Love that lizard face.
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com
    Happy A-Zing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great 7.... I want to know more.. Where is it from and is it published yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jarmara - it's my memoir which I am desperately trying to finish editing as 4 agents are interested in reading it!!!

      Delete
  8. For some reason the picture is coming up blank for me - darn it! As for you book, finish it, finish it!! I'm dying to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh shame. She looks funny. Thanks Bridget - think I need to go away quietly and get it done! Gonna buy yours this weekend so I can actually read it!

      Delete
  9. Has Lekma seen this?!! Ha ha! I was just Skyping with her a few minutes ago, and she sent me a link to your blog. I'm loving it! You and I met in the Summer of 2009, in the Lake District, with your aforesaid sister and my very good buddy, Lovely Lekma. Nice to run into you again on the Blogosphere.

    Love, Lucy
    p.s. i have a blog too: http://kadampalife.org

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son makes a face that I always call his "lizard face!!" :-) I will have to show this post and the picture to him.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha - tell him I need to see a photo of him doing a lizard-face!

      Delete