Saturday, April 7, 2012

A-Z Challenge: G - Grammar



G is for Grammar


 I recently stumbled across
The Fumblerules of Grammar
by William Safire - listing 54 self-contradictory rules of writing -thanks to Lists of Notes. I think they are not only hilarious, but extremely informative. I have picked 10 randomly but they all worth a read. For the full list, go here.





  1. Remember to never split an infinitive.
  2. A preposition is something never to end a sentence with.
  3. Don't use no double negatives.
  4. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.
  5. A writer must not shift your point of view.
  6. Don't overuse exclamation marks!!!
  7. Place pronouns as close as possible, especially in long sentences, as of 10 or more words, to their antecedents.
  8. Take the bull by the hand and avoid mixing metaphors.
  9. Be more or less specific.
  10. Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.

And now, something completely unrelated, but I thought it was so fab I wanted to share. A fellow blogger, Cheryl Reif, had this excellent post here with a link to a site called "I Write Like". You drop some of your writing in the box, it analyses it and then tells you which writer you are most like. The first time it told me I write like Dan Brown (yeah, right!) and the second time Douglas Adams. The third time (yes, I was becoming obsessed) was Margaret Atwood. So, not sure how accurate (or consistent) this tool is, but now I just need to emulate their best-selling ability!

Tell me who you write like if you try it.

29 comments:

  1. Made me smile today, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally, and thank you for all your commenting. Much appreciated :)

      Delete
  2. I have tried this tool and was told I wrote like H.P. Lovecroft.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually make great efforts not to use more than one exclamation point, though I am trying reduce using the ones that I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. I was told before this and have dramatically reduced my use. In comments it's ok though!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised the whole internet hasn't gone into meltdown at my grammar atrocities! And yes, I'm probably guilty of all the above.

    Apparently, I write in the style of James Fenimore Cooper, the man who wrote 'The Last Of The Mohicans.' Admittedly, I used a more dramatic post. (cheat!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have put you more down for a humourist author.

      Delete
  5. I exaggerate a bit but the cat is just crazy so many expect it. Plus I do use these!!!!! A bit much, oh well..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are allowed to do what they like grammar-wise!

      Delete
  6. I am guilty of #6 all the time!!! May have to watch that it may become a habit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Be more or less specific" is my favourite! Hello Claire! Apparently I write like Neil Gaiman. I can only dream!! Have a great Easter! Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's an interesting author! Happy Easter to you too :)

      Delete
  8. I did the 'I write like' think a few years ago and it came up as Stephen King.

    Visiting from A-Z
    http://www.tahomabeadworks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. First time commenting on your blog, visiting form A/Z; I have to laugh at these rules. I'm sure I've broken all of them at some point in my writings :)

    May you and your family have a nice Easter Day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did that thing four times on Cherie's post before I made myself close it down :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the list-very funny. I did I Write Like, and the first 2 times it said David Foster Wallace and the 3rd time it said Cory Doctorow. Haven't read either guy, so maybe I should check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Apparently I write like Cory Doctorow. I'll admit I had to Google the guy. LOL

    I'm a stickler for grammar most of the time. When writing fiction, however, I have a field day purposely breaking the rules. The one mistake I often make, most definitely NOT intentionally, is the use of dangling participles. The results are usually hilarious for all the wrong reasons. :-o

    Great post! Thanks so much for stopping by, Claire! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got Cory Doctorow for three different pieces!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never even heard of Cory Doctorow and now you all write like him! I better check him out.

      Delete
  14. I love these! I'm sure I make many mistakes when I'm writing that would have grammar police taking me away in handcuffs and losing the key as we walk out the door!

    ReplyDelete